This creamy white bean dip is a delicious and healthy appetizer with a touch of sweetness from the caramelized onions that is perfect for serving with crackers or vegetables.
Caramelized onions are one of my favorite ingredients. I love the way they add a depth of flavor and a hint of sweetness to any dish. Here they are combined with creamy white beans, parsley for some freshness, and chili flakes for a touch of heat.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 med. onion, sliced into thin slivers
- 1 15 oz can white beans, such as Cannellini, Great Northern, or Navy
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt, (plus more as needed)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat a large skillet on medium-low heat. Add butter, then sliced onions. Reduce heat to low and cook slowly until onions are soft and caramelized. This process should take around 20 minutes or so.
- Drain and rinse the white beans. Combine the beans in a food processor with the caramelized onions, parsley, salt, and red pepper flakes. Briefly, pulse several times until the beans are just pureed.
- Add the white wine vinegar and olive oil and continue to pulse until smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with additional salt if needed. Transfer to serving bowl with a spatula.