Tomatoes and mozzarella come together to create a simple late summer caprese salad that is a delicious way to highlight the flavors in heirloom tomatoes.
For this recipe, I recommend using Maldon salt, which is a flaky sea salt that is great for finishing dishes.
This caprese salad is juicy, so make sure to serve it with good crusty bread for soaking up the juice.
- 6 heirloom tomatoes, cored and wedged
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, shredded
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- Maldon salt
- Cracked pepper
- Slice off the tops of 6 heirloom tomatoes to remove the stem. Cut the tomatoes into chunky, bite-sized wedges and add them to the serving bowl.
- Dice the fresh mozzarella, shred the basil, and add them to the tomatoes.
- Drizzle a good quality olive oil over the tomatoes along with several pinches of Maldon salt and a little cracked pepper.
- Taste the salad and season with more salt or pepper, if needed.
- Keep the salad at room temperature until you’re ready to serve.